The historical significance and impact of the campus upon the economy of Fort Wayne, northeast Indiana and the entire country is well known. The campus traces its origins back to the creation of the Fort Wayne Electric Company by entrepreneur Ranald T. MacDonald in the late 19th century; the oldest building on the campus is believed to date back to 1893. General Electric acquired the company at the turn of the 20th century, and drove its impressive growth and expansion over the next several decades, including the construction of four large-scale manufacturing buildings. At its peak in the late 1940s, the campus employed roughly 40% of the city’s workforce. The architect for most of the buildings on campus was the renowned firm Harris & Richards of Philadelphia. During its heyday, the campus housed the manufacture of electrical apparatus, notable fractional electrical motors (typically used for electrical appliances) and electrical transformers and was a vital manufacturing facility for the country’s efforts during World War II.